Do you want to become a living, breathing part of “One Thing, a year of changed lives at Joy!” but not sure how? As knitters and those who crochet (or at least learners of that art) we can do that “One Thing” …we can create chemo caps, shawls, and other items for donation to people fighting cancer. Perhaps you or someone you know has been touched by cancer or simply have a compassion for others fighting cancer. You can create that one cap that will mean so much.
All of our handiwork will be donated to the Sow Many Blessings Chapter, an Illinois Chapter of Crochet for Cancer, a non-profit organization of Christian volunteers making and donating hand crafted items. Additional items that can be donated:
- Prayer Shawls
- Lap Blankets
- Ribbon Pins
- Must be new – never worn
- Clean – free of perfume, pet hair and smoke
- Placed individually in clear ziplock style plastic bags
- Soft yarn is best- cotton, acrylic, silk, fleece or a blend is best. Do not use wool or alpaca as they can irritate the scalp.
- We accept baby, children, youth, and adult hats.
- Please use patterns that do not have gaps or large holes. A tighter stitch is best so that it covers the scalp.
- Be sure to wash your hands on a regular basis while making the caps.
- Scripture cards are available for download as a PDF file if you would like to tag each item prior to donating. You are welcome to use these cards for donations you make to your local hospitals & cancer centers.
- Heart Crochet Pattern is available for download if you would like to make them to attach to your caps. They would be a reminder to the recipient that they are loved and prayed for and could be detached to keep in a pocket, purse, etc.